Online check-in is check-in made via the Internet. An alternative option is a check-in at the airport.
In the case of purchasing the tickets of popular airlines Ryanair, Wizz Air or EasyJet, it's worth using online check-in because check-in at the airport is associated with additional fees.
What is check-in and why should it be made?
Each passenger must have a boarding pass to take a seat on the plane (a ticket itself is not enough to board the plane!). The boarding pass is generated during check-in. There are two possibilities to make a check in:
- Online – using the online form, you have to enter the required data, and after generating the boarding pass, you have to print it and take with you to the airport (you will see the details on online check-in in the next part of the article)
- At the airport – at the check-in desk of an airline or at the self-service check-in desk (machine) – in this case, the boarding pass is printed by the airline employee or by the machine (you can find more information in the article about check-in at the airport).
Each passenger has one boarding pass filled with data, the scope of data is determined by the airline. In addition, the required data may vary depending on the route, which is related to the visa requirement set by the country of arrival. Usually during check-in, you must give your name and type, number and series of the transport document (ID card, passport), as well as additional data, such as country and data on the issue and validity of the document. This is important because the compliance of the data on the boarding pass and documents are verified during the security check.
In the case of non-compliance of the mentioned data, the passenger won't be able to pass the security check. Additionally, during the check-in, seats on the plane are allocated – this information is included in the generated boarding pass.
Is it necessary to provide data during check-in? Yes, it's necessary. When making the reservation of the airline ticket, you have to provide names and surnames of the passengers, birth dates and contact details. The boarding pass includes more detailed information. This results from the applicable safety requirements.
In addition, in the time between the ticket purchase and the flight, the required data may change (for example, the validity of the passport may expire and a new document will be issued with a different series and number). This is why check-in is made just before the departure or in the case of online check-in, it's possible only a few days before the departure.
Attention! Each passenger should have his/her own boarding pass filled with the required data and an identity document confirming their compatibility with the actual situation.
Thanks to eSky, check-in can be simple
eSky enables its customers who have purchased tickets of Ryanair, Wizz Air or EasyJet airlines, to check-in online via its website. This action can be made after receiving an airline ticket, within 30 days (if you have booked a seat) or from 48 hours to 3 hours before the departure (if you haven't booked a seat), in the case of Wizz Air airline. In the case of Ryanair, from 2 days to 2 hours before departure (if you have booked seats – from 60 days before departure). The easyJet airline allows passengers to check-in online from 30 days to 2 hours before departure.
Other airlines that provide online check-in:
- Air Baltic - from 5 days before departure to closing personal check-in at the airport.
- Alitalia (applies only to the Light tariff!) - from 24 to 2 hours before departure.
- Ukraine International Airlines - from 48 hours (except for flights from Amsterdam and on the route Kiev - Brussels and charter flights - from 24 hours, flights from Brussels, Geneva and Zurich - from 18 hours before departure) to 1 hour before departure (except for flights from Tel Aviv and Zaporozhye - then the check-in is closed 3 hours before departure). Online check-in on the route Kiev - Riga and Riga - Kiev is payable, for other routes its free. Passengers on all UIA flights, with the exception of intercontinental flights and flights from Klaipeda, are required to pay an additional fee for check-in at the airport!
- AirAsia (with exception of flights from or to United States) - from 14 days to 4 hours before departure (for AirAsia X) or up to 1 hour before departure (AirAsia).
- Spirit Airlines - from 24 hours to 1 hour before departure.
- Jet2.com - from 28 days to 5 hours before departure.
- El Al. - from 24 hours to 3 hours before departure.
In cases not mentioned above, check-in takes place in a standard way at the airport - after going to the check-in desk (no later than 2 hours before departure), passengers will receive boarding cards free of charge.
Link to online check-in can be found in the email you will receive from eSky
Depending on the purchased tariff, eSky customers can check-in in two ways.
Customers with the Online check-in service
In the case of purchasing an additional service - Online check-in (it's possible when booking an airline ticket on our website), the passenger will receive an e-mail with an electronic ticket and a link to the check-in form. Thanks to this, the passenger can provide all the necessary information for check-in before the airline opens the online check-in (usually takes place 2-4 days before departure). Our consultants will finalize this process when the airline check-in starts. You will receive your boarding pass to print. The boarding pass will be sent to the e-mail address indicated in the booking not earlier than 48 hours and not later than 8 hours before the scheduled time of departure.
Customers without the Online check-in service
If the passenger has not purchased the online check-in service, he will receive only an air ticket e-mail and notification of the date of sending the next e-mail - with the check-in form. This e-mail is sent when the airline opens the check-in (for example in the case of Ryanair - 48 hours before departure). In this case, after receiving the link to the form, you must complete the required data, and after generating the boarding card (it will be sent to the indicated mail), print it and take it to the airport.
Attention! The card can be printed immediately after receiving the e-mail or saved in the portable memory (pen drive, smartphone, portable disk, etc.) and printed at a later date, but it must be before the approach to check-in and passport control or security at the airport! The printed card should be taken with you to the airport with the identity document used for check-in. The lack of it, results in the necessity of paying a high penalty fee and in extreme cases even refusal to board the plane.
I can't check-in. What to do?
- Check if a new flight schedule and a new check-in link have been sent to your e-mail address.
- If the booking concerns a larger group, you shouldn't check-in more than several passengers at the same time. If there are too many passengers, when entering data from documents, the duration of the session may end. It's related to the security of your data.
Buy the online check-in service on eSky
Online check-in is an additional service that can be purchased while making the reservation of a ticket from some airlines in eSky. It's a comfortable solution because the passenger doesn't have to remember about the date of opening the check-in by the airlines. All formalities related to the process are carried out on its behalf by eSky consultants.
After purchasing the mentioned service, eSky users will receive a link to the form, that enables providing the data required for the check-in. All you need to do is to provide the required data, confirm and up to 8 hours before departure, you will receive an email with boarding passes that are ready to print. Boarding passes must be printed and taken to the airport.
Attention! The online check-in service via eSky is available for flights that are operated by some popular airlines. The service can be added to the shopping cart while making an airline ticket reservation.
Change after check-in
After checking in online, Ryanair, Wizz Air, and Easy Jet allow you to change your flight date or passenger name. The cost of so-called ticket opening is 15 EUR / 15 GBP per passenger per flight. After opening the ticket, passengers may make changes in accordance with the airline's regulations and possible fees. There are restrictions on the time when such a change is possible.
Passengers travelling with checked baggage and using the online check-in service are still required to attend standard baggage check-in at the airport.
- After the online check-in, changes to the ticket are no longer possible (except for Ryanair, Wizz Air, easyJet).
- At the airport, passengers must have their printed boarding passes with them.
- Boarding passes can be printed in black.
- Each boarding card must be printed on a separate sheet so that one side of the card remains unprinted.
- At the airport, passengers must have the same identity documents that were used when checking in online.